As it has been a long time we did not conduct any playdate for the little ones, we moms planned for a Volcano playdate during Thanksgiving last year. This was our first science experiment with kids, so the kids, as well as the moms, were very excited.
To make the volcano I followed this Volcano video with a little tweak to make it more realistic. The best part of this experiment is the materials required for the volcano is easily available at home.
Supplies needed are:–
- Aluminum foil tray
- Wheat flour
- Lots of paper
- Empty water bottle(2)
- Baking soda
- Food color
Procedure to make volcano:-
- Fix one empty bottle to the aluminum foil tray using the tape. Make a few small paper balls and attach it to the bottle at the bottom using the tape. Fold another paper in half and cover the paper balls with it using the tape.
- Now knead wheat flour to become a thick dough and start pasting it on the bottle.
- Cover the entire bottle with the dough to form a mountain and let it dry overnight.
- The next day, which was our playdate day, we started explaining to the kids how the volcanoes are formed. After the explanation, we added half a bottle of vinegar into another empty bottle and added a few drops of food color along with two tablespoons of dishwashing soap. We also added three teaspoons of baking soda into the volcano bottle which is on the aluminum foil tray.
- Once all the kids got gathered near the Volcano, we poured the vinegar solution into the volcano bottle. After a few seconds, the volcano started to erupt.
Featured image : Pexels