Last week while we were returning from our India vacation we had our friend’s in -laws accompanying us. They were first time travelers and was scared as well as excited about their trip . This travel with them made me write this post about tips for the elderly people traveling all alone to US.
* Plan the trip well in advance . It’s better to book a non stop flight even if the cost is high as it is a hassle for them to catch connecting flight in other countries .
* Better to book during off peak season with convenient timings . It is difficult for the elderly people to travel late nights or early mornings .
* Book the food menu according to their preferences.
* Choose the right type of insurance package for them based on the health conditions .
* While booking tickets make sure you book seats with extra legroom which are near by to the lavatory . This will make their trips to the restroom easy in the flight.
* Book for special assistance for the elderly people like wheelchair etc.
* Better tag them with persons traveling in the same flight using websites like flypals.com .
* Make sure the health checkup is upto date with prescriptions and respective dosages written on it.
* While packing the checkin luggage pack a kg less in each suitcase in this way they need not shuffle the luggage from one suitcase to other in the airport if the luggage exceeds the allowed weight.
* As they need to carry the carry on luggage with them make sure to pack it light .
* Make sure they keep all their medicines , important documents and one set of clothing in their carry on luggage .
* Make sure they make four sets of documents they are carrying which includes tickets , passports , insurance , prescriptions etc. one set to be left at home country ., second set placed in carry on luggage , third set in checkin luggage , fourth set mail it to the family at the arrival destination .
* Carry foreign currency especially coins for calling in case of emergency . Little cash for giving it to the porter & wheelchair assistants .
* During the day of travel wear comfortable clothes and shoes .
* Arrive at the airport much early before the check in time .
* Avail porter facility at the airport . He will guide them with their luggage till the check – in counter.
* Make sure they know the following :-
• Complete address of the destination.
• Phone number of the destination family.
• Purpose of travel.
• Duration of stay.
• Once they are done with checkin they will be given a baggage claim receipt , they should keep this safe as it will be required at the destination during luggage collection .
* If they have old and new passports ask them to show both the passports at the immigration counter.
* While boarding they can take the pre boarding option where they get some extra time to get on the plane and get settled .
* Make sure they keep themselves hydrated throughout their flight .
* Once in a while they can take a walk in the flight this will relax their body muscles.
* In case they need any assistance like filling up the customs form they can always take the help of flight attendants .
* During getting off the plane, they can wait for the other passengers to debark so attendants can assist them with carry-ons and escort them from the plane to the immigration counter .
* After the immigration and customs process they can collect their baggage with the help of baggage claim receipt , the wheeler chair assistant will help in finding the luggage.